[mythtv-users] All encoder MPG stream buffers are full. Dropping data.

Kelly Shutt tetrahedron at whycomehere.com
Thu Apr 3 00:08:40 UTC 2008

I've been getting "All encoder MPG stream buffers are full. Dropping
data." for the last week or so and it's causing jitters in my
recording.  My machine has been running mythtv fine for over a year now
and started doing this after I updated to 2.6.24 kernel and the latest
0.21 mythtv release.  It worked fine with 2.6.23 kernel and 0.20
release, but not the updates.  I have started running the database
optimization script nightly, but that has not helped.  I have also added
"options ivtv enc_mpg_buffers=16" to make sure it's using the maximum
buffer size for the PVR-350 card, which did not help either.  I've been
looking at load, etc. and don't see any issues there.  The machine is
dedicated to MythTV only, so there's not really anything else running
that could interfere.  I've even discontinued all my transcoding for the
moment to eliminate that as a possible CPU hog.  Anyone have any other
suggestions?

Thanks,
Kelly Shutt