[mythtv-users] PVR500 Tuning

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Apr 2 22:41:42 UTC 2008

Conrad wrote:
> Just one bit of clarification, my STB is a dual-tuner HD-PVR.  So based
> on the explanations that I've received so far, is it fair to assume the
> following:
>
>    1. I can use the main PVR500 board to receive signal from either the
>       composite or the svideo output from the STB

yes.

>    2. I can use the breakout board for the other ouput mentioned in 1
>       above (not in use)

You mentioned another output?

>    3. I should be able to receive two signal sources into the combined
>       PVR500/breakout_board  from my STB.

I wouldn't assume that. Your STB has 2 tuners in it, but it probably
does not have 2 outputs (I've certainly never seen one that has a
separate output for each tuner). It's meant to be hooked to a single
device - your TV. Two inputs, 1 output. Unless you can get it to output
two different things to two different outputs, you're limited to a
single signal from your STB going to a single input on your PVR-500.

> I also own a ATSC/QAM tuner which I have not yet brought into the mix.

You mean a PCI card tuner (or some other thing that plugs into your
computer)?

> And again, based on your explanations and my , so far faulty, reasoning
> I should be able to use a (cheap) splitter and receive non-encrypted
> digital channels on it.

You cannot receive QAM signals from your Dish box. Again, you need the
signal to be processed by your dish box to receive Dish content. You can
receive over the air digital signals on your ATSC/QAM tuner. That's what
I do.

I have 2 pvr cards, one each hooked to one each of my DirecTV boxes via
s-video. All my satellite is recorded on those. I have serial cables to
each DirecTV box to change the channels. I also have 3 HD tuners - all
receiving over the air signals (antenna into ATSC tuner). I'm not using
QAM because I don't have cable.

-Brad