[mythtv-users] The Death of MythTV in the US?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Apr 1 13:43:22 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 08:04:35PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/31/2008 09:33 AM, jedi wrote:

> >> The cable companies don't care if you have copies.  They care that
> >> people don't steal their cable.  The way cable is distributed, it's
> >> easy to steal the cable feed and view the analog, clearQAM channels.
> >> By encrypting them all it makes it so that you have to have a box and
> >> therefor cannot steal cable.
> >     People have been hacking cable boxes since the 70's. Now we're
> > not talking sophisticates or "hackers" here. Meat packers have been
> > doing it.
> >
> >     So, the idea that cable companies get some sort of protection out
> > of the STB is enough to make an experienced user die of laughter.
>
> In the '70's there was no DMCA.  The protection isn't in the tech, it's
> in the legislation (and may get even worse in the future).

     The DMCA didn't add any protection in this regard. What was illegal
before is still illegal and what was impossible to stop before is still
impossible to stop.

     Certain sorts of laws only punish the law abiding types and do nothing
to achieve the goals for which they were allegedly created.

[deletia]