[mythtv-users] Nvidia nFORCE motherboards . . . anyone try them?

Brad Fuller bradallenfuller at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 04:10:46 UTC 2008

A little off topic, but something you might want to know and if anyone
has a solution to this, I'd love to hear it.

I have two PATAs and one SATA on the board. One odd thing on my
GA-M68SM-S2 is that the SATA drive either doesn't show up, or gets
rearranged in the boot order, on cold boot. I don't know why. In my
setup, I have Linux on a PATA drive and windows on a SATA drive.
Originally, I placed the SATA drive as the first drive. Well, on cold
boot that drive doesn't exist or is down the list of drives to boot
(the boot order is rearranged so the SATA is at the bottom.) and the
bios tried to boot another drive To circumvent that, I placed the PATA
drive with Linux as the first drive in the list to boot, and entered
an item in grub.conf to boot windows from the SATA drive (if I needed
to boot into windows.) However, as I said, on cold boot, the SATA
drive doesn't seem to exist so if I choose "windows" to boot from the
grub menu, it can't find the drive. So, I have to reboot, and then the
drive is found and I can boot into windows.

As I said, a little off topic; something you should know; and if
anyone has ideas for a solution, I'm all ears.

--
Brad Fuller
www.bradfuller.com