[mythtv-users] Securing Mythweb

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Apr 1 01:27:04 UTC 2008

Harry Devine wrote:
> Well, it looks like I spoke too soon.  This, in fact, isn't working.
> When I try to connect to my Mythweb internally from home, I get in
> (since I allow my internal IP segments in without prompting for a
> password).  When I try connecting internally using my DynDNS.org
> account, I get prompted for the username/password, then it displays my
> Mythweb pages.  However, it changes in the address bar to
> http://hjdmyth/mythweb, which is my INTERNAL hostname.  When I try
> connecting from outside (i.e. from my office at work) using my
> DynDNS.org account, I get prompted for a password, which I enter
> correctly, and get the standard "page cannot be displayed" page.  I was
> SSH'd into my box from work when I tried this, and tried to monitor the
> error_log and access_log, I didn't see anything unusual.  The error_log
> showed no errors at all, and access_log showed the GET for /mythweb, but
> nothing else.
>
> Any ideas on where I should go from here?
>
> Thanks,
> Harry

Actually, it is working, but you need to configure your hostname
correctly. Probably this part of your mythweb.conf file:
         # By default, MythWeb uses the hostname program to look up the
hostname of the
         # machine it runs on.  If this reports incorrect data, or you
run MythWeb on a
         # machine without the hostname program, set this to your
current hostname.
         #
         #   setenv hostname         "my_mythbox"