[mythtv-users] Securing Mythweb

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 1 01:39:55 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> Harry Devine wrote:
>
>> Well, it looks like I spoke too soon.  This, in fact, isn't working.
>> When I try to connect to my Mythweb internally from home, I get in
>> (since I allow my internal IP segments in without prompting for a
>> password).  When I try connecting internally using my DynDNS.org
>> account, I get prompted for the username/password, then it displays my
>> Mythweb pages.  However, it changes in the address bar to
>> http://hjdmyth/mythweb, which is my INTERNAL hostname.  When I try
>> connecting from outside (i.e. from my office at work) using my
>> DynDNS.org account, I get prompted for a password, which I enter
>> correctly, and get the standard "page cannot be displayed" page.  I was
>> SSH'd into my box from work when I tried this, and tried to monitor the
>> error_log and access_log, I didn't see anything unusual.  The error_log
>> showed no errors at all, and access_log showed the GET for /mythweb, but
>> nothing else.
>>
>> Any ideas on where I should go from here?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Harry
>>

> Actually, it is working, but you need to configure your hostname
> correctly. Probably this part of your mythweb.conf file:
>          # By default, MythWeb uses the hostname program to look up the
> hostname of the
>          # machine it runs on.  If this reports incorrect data, or you
> run MythWeb on a
>          # machine without the hostname program, set this to your
> current hostname.
>          #
>          #   setenv hostname         "my_mythbox"

OK, I made the change and restarted httpd.  If I connect to my
"external" address from my internal LAN, it asks me for my
username/password, then changes the address bar to
http://hjdmyth/mythweb (hjdmyth is my hostname).  I can't try a real
outside external test until tomorrow, but I will from work.  So you're
saying that this should work now?

Thanks,
Harry