[mythtv-users] Does mythtv-users have an official moderator?

jedi at mishnet.org jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Sep 19 14:48:12 UTC 2007

> On 9/19/07, William Munson <william_munson at bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> Raphael wrote:
[deletia]
>> Due to the volume of mail on this list user moderation is about the only
>> option. Personally I just set up a rule to trashcan threads I find
>> offensive. Luckily they are few and far between. This list is quite good
>> at self-moderation.
>

> Hmm I suppose that makes sense. There is a lot of user moderation
> here, but at times I think there's also a mob mentality.... Not that
> I've been offended by any of the threads, since I don't get into them
> very often, but I could see how it must scare some people off. I guess
> the list is already big enough anyway.

    I think it's much less of a problem then some people let on. The
more contentious forums tend to have self selecting populations that
are less inclined to be scared off by them. If you are not frightened
by joining a mailing list, you are probably less likely to be scared by
the tone of one, or the volume.

    Some people complain about noise but I think they miss the point that
this list has a lot of signal to begin with. If you can't handle that, the
fact that a little extra noise is added probably won't even be noticed.

    You're already awash in a bunch of stuff that bewilders you.