[mythtv-users] my experience "upgrading" from KnoppMyth to mythDora

Ryan Allen ryan at the-summit.net
Mon Sep 17 05:18:38 UTC 2007

* Sam Varshavchik <mrsam at courier-mta.com> wrote on [09-16-07y 19:10]:
> Ryan Allen writes:
>
> >The nvidia drivers are current.
> >According to yum: nvidia-graphics9755.i386
>
> [ … ]
>
> >I hope the mythDora guys read this and are aware of these issues, and
> >can address them in the next release!
>
> Mythdora is based on the Fedora distro. The base Fedora distro has no
> support whatsoever for non-free Nvidia drivers. Any support for Nvidia's
> non-free software had to be originated elsewhere. With all due credit to
> Mythdora's developers, it would take non-trivial investment in time and
> effort to keep up with the Fedora mainline development. They may not be
> able to keep up with kernel and core userspace updates in the Fedora
> mainline, and have sufficient resources available for integration testing
> of Fedora's mainline with Nvidia's binary driver, not to mention ivtv, and
> mythtv.
>
> If you need support for non-free Nvidia drivers, you'll have much better
> luck with work based on other Linux distributions. Fedora's kernel, glibc,
> and x.org base packages make no accomodations whatsoever for Nvidia's
> binary blobs, and that's not going to change. If you need that, you'll need
> to look elsewhere.

This is really great information.  It would of been good to add this to
the article comparing the three canned Myth distros from linux.com.

I made my decision for mythDora based on this article:

http://www.linux.com/feature/118668

So I ditched my efforts and installed the latest knoppmyth.  It resolved
_ALL_ my issues and worked with almost no additional setup.  Video
playback and recording playback run smoothly, with sound perfectly
matched with video right out of the box.  AND my CPU is slightly under 30% for
HDTV playback of live TV!

WHOOT!!! WHOOT!!!