[mythtv-users] my experience "upgrading" from KnoppMyth to mythDora

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon Sep 17 02:05:17 UTC 2007

Ryan Allen writes:

> The nvidia drivers are current.
> According to yum: nvidia-graphics9755.i386

[ … ]

> I hope the mythDora guys read this and are aware of these issues, and
> can address them in the next release!

Mythdora is based on the Fedora distro. The base Fedora distro has no
support whatsoever for non-free Nvidia drivers. Any support for Nvidia's
non-free software had to be originated elsewhere. With all due credit to
Mythdora's developers, it would take non-trivial investment in time and
effort to keep up with the Fedora mainline development. They may not be able
to keep up with kernel and core userspace updates in the Fedora mainline,
and have sufficient resources available for integration testing of Fedora's
mainline with Nvidia's binary driver, not to mention ivtv, and mythtv.

If you need support for non-free Nvidia drivers, you'll have much better
luck with work based on other Linux distributions. Fedora's kernel, glibc,
and x.org base packages make no accomodations whatsoever for Nvidia's binary
blobs, and that's not going to change. If you need that, you'll need to look
elsewhere.