[mythtv-users] HDMI or DVI

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Sep 12 09:07:00 UTC 2007

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007, Justin The Cynical wrote:

> And? ;-)
>
> Sorry, but I have to disagree on this statement.  The answer would be,
> it depends.

Yes, of course this is not a universal truth. But with a proper HDMI/DVI
implementation in the player, you will get on the display panel exactly
what the player sent out, with a 1:1 pixel mapping. This is less likely to
happen with component, I am not aware of "exact pixel mapping" (or
whatever the display manufacturer calls it) is guaranteed the same way
with component.

My advice would be to test with a text screen. If you run it over DVI/HDMI
and get 1:1 pixel mapping, you'd be able to see single pixel on your text
and there should be no blurring of that single pixel. If you can see the
individual pixels with component as well, then no scaling is going on and
it should be the same picture quality if the color depth is the same.

But, I'd have to agree with you on one point, I've seen DVD players give
worse picture on 1080p HDMI than they do using 480p over component, and
that's probably due to very bad HDMI implementation, might be bad color
depth or some other strangeness.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se