[mythtv-users] HDMI or DVI

Justin The Cynical cynical at penguinness.org
Wed Sep 12 08:35:49 UTC 2007

Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007, Mitch Gore wrote:
>
>> I am curious if going to DVI/HDMI will give me better picture quality.
>> Anyone know?
>
> Yes it should. It's digital end-to-end, component is analogue.

And? ;-)

Sorry, but I have to disagree on this statement.  The answer would be,
it depends.

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/34579/122868.html

"The upshot of this article--in case you're not inclined to read all the
details--is that it's very hard to predict whether a digital DVI or HDMI
connection will produce a better or worse image than an analog component
video connection. There will often be significant differences between
the digital and the analog signals, but those differences are not
inherent in the connection type and instead depend upon the
characteristics of the source device (e.g., your DVD player) and the
display device (e.g., your TV set)."

Good article, worth the read.

In a nutshell, there are too many variables to be able to say one would
be better than the other.  Try one, try the other, use what looks best
to you.  The cables are not that expensive to experiment with.

Personally, I'm avoiding HDMI (aka the *AA's version of DVI and digital
audio cable) as long as possible.  The last thing I want to do is use
the interface that the various *AA's want me to use so they  can force
their encryption crap down my throat.