[mythtv-users] linux updates suck

Bill Williamson bill at bbqninja.com
Mon Sep 10 23:29:57 UTC 2007

On 9/11/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Sep 8, 2007, at 6:27 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
> > IMHO the real problem is that the Linux kernel itself has become
> > such a
> > moving target that it is hard for groups like LIRC/IVTV to keep up
> > with
> > the efforts of Linus and Co. to "not be bored".
>
> Personally, I really feel like dropping the alternating stable/
> unstable kernel release pattern was a bad idea.  I would have rather
> had a stable 2.6 and then a 2.7 tree for the new stuff.  It took a
> good dozen releases for 2.6 to really become stable enough for day to
> day use.

They do have a stable kernel:
2.6.22.x.
Before that I believe it was 2.6.16.x

All they're doing is not doing a FULL branch for the dev kernel.  Once a
slightly older release has bene found to be stable it is maintained for
quite a while.

It's also reccomended by Linus that you use your distro's kernel, which
should be stableized by them.  It seems that the linux kernel project is now
more of a "feeder project" for distributions than it was in the past.