[mythtv-users] linux updates suck

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 10 17:24:13 UTC 2007

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Sep 8, 2007, at 6:27 PM, Brian Wood wrote:
>> IMHO the real problem is that the Linux kernel itself has become
>> such a
>> moving target that it is hard for groups like LIRC/IVTV to keep up
>> with
>> the efforts of Linus and Co. to "not be bored".
>
> Personally, I really feel like dropping the alternating stable/
> unstable kernel release pattern was a bad idea.  I would have rather
> had a stable 2.6 and then a 2.7 tree for the new stuff.  It took a
> good dozen releases for 2.6 to really become stable enough for day to
> day use.

I agree totally, as I've said before. Linus has said that the present
system results in "smoother" kernel development. I suspect kernel
development would be even "smoother" if they could get rid of all those
annoying users.

> That said, current 2.6 kernels really blow 2.4 out of the water when
> it comes to memory management.  My 2.4 systems suffer from allocation
> failures caused by memory fragmentation, and have to be rebooted
> every few weeks as a result; I've never seen that in 2.6.

Certainly the present 2.6 kernels are better in a lot of respects than
the 2.4 series, but getting there was painful in some cases, and IMHO it
didn't have to be that way.

beww