[mythtv-users] linux updates suck

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Sep 8 23:43:01 UTC 2007

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:

> From all the trouble doing upgrades, and even sometimes, just installing a
> new program (sometimes, that will break another program even if they seem
> unrelated), not upgrading a perfectly fine system is my stance, but I was
> forced to upgrade mythtv in order for schedules direct to work.
>
> BTW, I seem to have gotten everything working again except for nuvexport
> (I'm getting good at repairing broken linux boxes it seems)
> -steve

I had to upgrade because of the move to SD as well, though my Myth
system was getting a little long in the tooth (0.19).

I opted to just build a new system, as I wanted to get a little more
horsepower by going to a faster and dual-core CPU, mostly for faster
transcode and commflag jobs.

I've kept the old system on my network, so I have access to old
recordings etc, but I no longer use it for new recordings.

I realize this might not be a good answer for some folks, but I felt it
would minimize problems with trying to upgrade an existing system.

I certainly wouldn't say that Linux upgrades "suck", but they can be
troublesome without careful preparation, and even then you can get bit,
but nothing like moving from XP to Vista :-)

beww