[mythtv-users] linux updates suck

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Sat Sep 8 23:25:47 UTC 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org
[mailto:mythtv-users-bounces at mythtv.org] On Behalf Of Brian Wood
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2007 4:03 PM
To: Discussion about mythtv
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] linux updates suck

aaron wrote:
> On 9/8/07, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> Obviously you pretty much need a 2.6 kernel for current Myth releases
>> though, so you have to put up with potential trouble if you upgrade
>> it.
>>

> Just curious, why is that? Do you mean the pre-built distros (Kubuntu,
> MythDora, etc?) or are you referring to features in Myth itself
> requiring 2.6 kernels?
>
> I just ask because I'm happily running my Myth box on 2.4.27 right now
> (haven't updated anything on the system besides Myth in ages) and am
> not having any problems. In fact, in my experience disk IO tends to be
> faster on 2.4 than 2.6. Although that's entirely empirical.
>
> I just don't think I can upgrade my IVTV or nVidia drivers anymore...
> but the versions I'm using seem to work well enough for me...

I was thinking of just those items, IVTV and the nVidia drivers, as well as
the Go7007 drivers for the Plextor devices and some of the DVB stuff.

Also, support for some of the more exotic filesystems is far better in the
recent kernels, as is the USB/FW subsystem support.

The scheduling and VM systems are purported to be better as well.

I haven't actually tried some of the above-mentioned stuff on 2.4 kernels,
but it seems to be the "conventional wisdom" that what I said is true. I'd
certainly welcome any empirical data that supports or contradicts my
information.

If it's working, leave it alone :-)

beww