[mythtv-users] how to set up xorg.conf for overscan

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 23:49:02 UTC 2007

On 10/30/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2007, at 12:24 PM, ryan patterson wrote:
>

> > Yes it is unreasonable to expect a TELEVISION to act like a
> > MONITOR.  All TV's have overscan.  That is not a design flaw.
>
> I agree, although I think overscan on digital TVs is kind of a weird
> carry-over from the analog era.  Analog TVs had overscan because the
> CRT beam was hard to control at the edges of the picture, and because
> the VBI had a lot of visually-distracting stuff in it.  Overscan hid
> the wavy edges, the VBI trash, and (on VCR signals) the head
> switchover point.  None of this really applies to a digital TV.
>
> You are correct that those factors are not a concern with digital TV's.
But the networks have grown use to having the overscan hide the edges of the
screen.

This is noticeable with a lot of sports graphics overlays.  Especially when
I watch sports on FOX HD on my monitor I see how the graphics do not cover
all of the picture at the edge of the screen.

Also many NBC HD shows broadcast from my local NBC affiliate show a one
pixel wide green line on the left side of the screen.  Nobody with a TV
which overscans sees that green line.  But I see it on my monitor.

On most of my local HD channels when they show SD shows they include some of
the VBI scan lines in the picture.  Again the overscan designed into TV's
would hide the VBI scanlines.