[mythtv-users] how to set up xorg.conf for overscan

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sun Oct 28 15:35:56 UTC 2007

On Sun, Oct 28, 2007 at 08:47:46PM +1100, Eyal Lebedinsky wrote:
> All modes use the full screen area on this TV, but this area does not
> seem to contain 1280x720 pixels. Using the menus to shift the image
> one can easily see that a sizable margin is not shown on all sides.

So you're saying that the entire bezel of the monitor is filled, but
it's a window on the video signal behind it?  That's what I expect, yes.

> Some analog input allow me to adjust the position and size of the
> image (but not the ones that matter - component).

Hmmm.

> Digital input does not allow size adjustment so you just lose the
> margins. And you probably know that there is no reason to trim margins
> on digital input.

Certainly.  You've fed the TV a signal that's a 1-pixel box around the
edge of a 1280x720 image, and you could not see the box on all 4 sides?

> My complaint is about the digital input (I did say DVI, which means
> digital) which the TV calls DVI/HDMI which is an HDMI socket.

Ok; I came in one message too late.  See my question immediately above.

> BTW, by now I accepted that I was duped by LG, and got over it (not
> that I do not mention that they lied when the subject comes up...). I
> will me much more careful when I buy my next digital TV. This episode
> still amazes me in how little one can trust what vendors say, even
> when they do it in big letters all over the shop, the device and the
> instruction manual.

This much is true...

Cheers,
-- jra