[mythtv-users] MythTV backend crashing constantly (gdb seg fault output)

Joe Auty joe at netmusician.org
Mon Oct 29 23:11:46 UTC 2007

Steve Skarda wrote:

> On 10/23/07, *Joe Auty* <joe at netmusician.org
> <mailto:joe at netmusician.org>> wrote:

>     Hello,
>
>     Using GDB I have captured some seg fault output which I have attached...
>

> Joe-
>
> I can't interpret your report but I do have a question.   Did you create
> this using gdb or apport mentioned in previous thread?   I am just
> curious since I have the same problem to troubleshoot that you do.   I
> actually compiled a version manually with debug built in and that is how
> I got gdb working.   Did you use the command:
>
> while true; do date >> gdb.txt; gdb mythbackend -x gdbcommands; done;
>
> and still see the backend crash?   When I use that method, my backend
> runs OK.

Hey Steve,

Sorry for the long delay in my response...

Yes, I created this using gdb.. I didn't bother recompiling myth with
the --debug flags since I haven't had time yet to figure out what Ubuntu
uses for configure flags.

With the loop, my backend does crash, but it restarts by itself too...
The problem is when I'm watching something and it crashes, my
viewing/recording is disrupted, so this is not a permanent solution...
Speaking of which, what is the best way to kill that loop?

Would you mind letting me know what configure flags I should use in
manually compiling the backend so that I can try running with the debug
flags? Rather strange that running with debug flags increases stability,
but I'm willing to try everything :)