[mythtv-users] Mythweather-svn setup up problem

Kevin Hayes wondecla at tpg.com.au
Sat Oct 27 03:40:54 UTC 2007

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 18:29:35 -0400
Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:

> > >From my recent experience no, with the latest svn (at least up
> > to 14701) mythweather don't work, but with svn 14565 it does.
> >
> > You would need to uninstall the rpm packages then do:
> >
> > # svn co -r 14565 http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/mythtv
> > then configure make and make install, then
> >
> > # svn co -r 14565 http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/mythplugins
> > then configure make and make install
> >
> > As the upgrade to svn from 0.20.2 is a one way trip you should
> > backup the mysql data base before you start (see mythwiki).
> >
> > Its's working quite well with mythtv and mythplugins at svn 14565
> > here, ymmv
> >

> I just read over the following Wiki article:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Installing_MythTV_SVN_on_Fedora_Core.
> In it, it doesn't mention anything about backing up the database.  How
> would I go about this to ensure that when I remove the rpm packages and
> compile everything, I can put the database back to where it currently
> resides without losing anything?  Would I have to re-run mythtv-setup or
> anything like that?
>
> Thanks (and forgive my ignorance here),
> Harry

In addition to mythtv.org doc as posted by the other poster
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Backup_your_database
covers this quite well.

What i normally do is simply copy the dir
/var/lib/mysql to /var/lib/mysql-old and it has worked for me
when i've needed it.
(would welcome any comments/drawbacks on this backup method)

I configure & make the svn mythtv before i uninstall the old, in
case there is a problem in make (it takes a couple of hours for me).

Then i uninstall the old versions of mythtv / mythplugins and
install svn mythtv (the svn mythtv libraries need to be installed,
and old libraries removed, to avoid errors in making svn mythplugins).

When you uninstall the old packages and before installing the
new, look at /usr/lib/mythtv, /usr/share/mythv and /usr/bin to check
that there are no old files particularly libraries lying about.
This is important if you choose default prefix (/usr/local)
in configure giving install locations /usr/local/lib,
/usr/local/share /usr/local/bin etc, i always use
--prefix=/usr so new files will hopefully overwrite anything
accidently left behind after a package removal.

You need to look at .configure --help for both mythtv and mythplugins
as the configure options are different from 0.20.2

hth

--
Kevin Hayes