[mythtv-users] Full HD MythTV

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 19:04:08 UTC 2007

> The problem is how do you plan to get "Full HDTV" out of your satellite
> receiver and then capture it?
>
> I'm not aware of any solution to this at the present time.

I'm aware of one (actually 2, but they typically get lumped together).
 The big problem is they're expensive and of dubious and untested
legality...

you can find them at:
http://www.169time.com/
http://www.nextcomwireless.com/r5000/home.htm

The general consensus on the AVI forums I've been searching seems to
be that the R5000 solution is more stable, but I've personally never
tried...

I've been seriously thinking of going down this road come tax-time
(with my refund, that is) as the way I see my options for
transitioning my Myth to HD are as follows:

1: FTA/OTA with Antenna: umm...that's right out.  Most of the channels
my wife and I want to watch are not FTA (Bravo, TNT, SciFi, etc).
2: Cable + Firewire: As I read it, cable companies are only -required-
to send FTA channels over the firewire, and they don't always do that.
 Some cable companies send more, but some don't.  Those that do so can
change their minds at any time and you as the consumer have no
recourse.  Doesn't sound like a reliable long term solution to me.
3: Wait + Hope: For a HD solution that can carry me forward.  Hoping
something gets supported soon (i.e. before I'm forced to make the
transition) doesn't sound like a good bet.  I just had a TV die last
week, and buying a SD set NOW doesn't sound wise, so we're holding off
to see what our options are in 4-5 months...but that's the outside of
our timeframe, and that's a short timeframe for something to get
supported.
4: R5000: This supports all subscribed channels in full HD (as
available) in MPEG2 and MPEG4 (again, as available) over firewire to a
winblows box, then over firewire from there to a Linux box.  It
supports the latest single tuner DishNetwork (my carrier) box (VIP
211), and will give all channels, including premiums like HBO should I
ever want it.

Don't get me wrong, I detest the thought of having to maintain that
Winblows box, but it seems to be the least heinous (although most
expensive) solution.

--
Doug