[mythtv-users] OEM vs. Retail Drives - Was: Dell dual-quad...

Doug Young goofdad at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 01:25:33 UTC 2007

On 10/25/07, Calvin Dodge <caldodge at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/25/07, Ryan Steffes <rbsteffes at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Oh to live in a place where the computer stores have the kind of
> > selection NewEgg has!
>
> You mean California or Texas? (and a scattering of stores in a few other states)
>
> Based on my all-too-brief visit (never had another chance before
> vacation was over), Fry's seems to be such a place.

I'm always leery on what I buy at Frys...Having grown up in the SF Bay
Area, I have had waay too many bad experiences purchasing items there,
ranging from DOA equipment to mispackaged returns (I once got a $10
modem in a $80 SCSI controller card box...and put on the shelf with
the other SCSI cards*) to returns/refurbs on the shelf displayed as
"new".  Unless the deal is phenomenal, I prefer to buy elsewhere
anymore.

That being said, when I'm looking for something totally off-the-wall
that I want to hold in my hand before I buy...they're the best chance
to have it...and fortunately there's one about 90 mins away from me
here in OR
--
Doug

* To top it all off, when I returned it, they accused -me- of having
made the swap to cheat them.  I've never set foot in that particular
store again.