[mythtv-users] Mythtv backend on FreeBSD - was: ZFS - what's the scoop?

Glenn Harris gharris+list+mythtv at eklo.com
Thu Oct 25 21:03:12 UTC 2007

On 10/25/07, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:

> On Oct 25, 2007, at 1:20 PM, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
> > If you're interested in running ZFS natively on an open source system
> > that more or less feels like Linux, I'd suggest FreeBSD 7.0.
>
> And FreeBSD's NFS implementation is apparently pretty good.  One of
> the techs in another department where I work uses FreeBSD for all his
> dedicated NFS servers, because he did benchmarking with an app they
> use and found considerably better performance with FreeBSD than with
> Linux.  I don't know enough details to know if that's generally true,
> or just true for his particular load pattern, though.

How well does FreeBSD work for a mythbackend?

I am scheming to build a media/storage server and am very tempted to
go the zfs route.  I would want to have it run mythbackend and do most
of the recording.  It seems pvr cards are supported, but pchdtv cards
are not - I can throw that in the frontend, no biggie.  I was not able
to find anything on hdhomerun support, though I suppose that is more
dependent on mythtv than the os/driver.

--Glenn