[mythtv-users] Ready to try for Dolby Digital again....

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Wed Oct 24 14:46:18 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 24 October 2007 08:23:08 Craig Lovold wrote:
> OK, I gave up over a year ago but I think I am ready to try again....
>
> I want Dolby Digital output from MythVideo/Xine.  Is that too much to
> ask for?  I fought with it for days a year ago and eventually gave up.
>
> I'll buy whatever card it takes to make it work.  Does anyone have a
> configuration that will make it work?
>
> Right now I have a Chaintech AV-710 audio card and I have managed to get
> digital audio output, but cannot get it to work with anything but
> 2-speaker output.

Check that your AC-3 and/or DTS passthrough options are enabled. I don't
recall precisely where these are, but they're in the maze of frontend
configuration options, probably in the TV settings. You may also need to play
with some mixer settings. Unfortunately, Linux mixer settings seem to vary
substantially from one sound card to another, so getting things working can
be tricky -- what works for one person may not work for another, simply
because the mixer options have different names and requirements.

You might also want to check the MythTV wiki. There's been information on
sound cards added over the past few months. Some relevant pages include:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound_with_AC3_and_SPDIF
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Sound_card

--