[mythtv-users] PVR-150 IR receiver extension?

Mark Boyum mark at boyum.us
Tue Oct 23 23:31:53 UTC 2007

On 10/23/07, Brad DerManouelian <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> On Oct 23, 2007, at 10:24 AM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
> > On 10/23/2007 12:44 PM, Mark Boyum wrote:
> >> With the help of this mailing list I have turned an old Athlon 1400
> >> based system into a MythTV machine that my wife brags about.  Last
> >> night I finally configured lirc to use the remote included with my
> >> pvr-150.  It was actually pretty easy thanks to the Ubuntu guides.  I
> >> have, however, hit a snag.  Since my BE/FE combo is a loud old thing,
> >> it is located in the utility room beneath our television.  The
> >> included cable for the IR receiver is not very long and doesn't come
> >> close to making the trip through the floor into the entertainment
> >> system.
> >
> > I'm a huge supporter of getting Myth boxes out of the viewing room.
> > After all, it's the show you want to see, not the box.  :)
> >
> >> Does anyone know if an extension cable that would work with this
> >> device?  I attempted a simple headphone style extension cable, but
> >> that does not work.  Apparently the connections are slightly
> >> different.
> >
> > Never tried it, but this might work, instead of extending the
> > existing.
> >
> > http://www.irblaster.info/hauppauge_ir.html
> >
> > It even gives you the specs for making your own if you'd rather do
> > that
> > than buy the one he makes (or you need something other than 72" and
> > don't feel like asking if he could make it for you :).
> >
> > Mike (not the one on the web page, though)
>
> I used an 1/8" cable extender without a problem. I don't remember if
> it was stereo or mono, but one worked and the other didn't. I don't
> use my PVR's IR Receiver any more so I couldn't tell you which
> worked. For a couple bucks you can buy each at Radio Shack and return
> the one that doesn't work. :)

Thanks for the suggestions and web link guys.  But I think my problem lies
in a detail that I left out.  My particular pvr-150 has the IR receiver /
Blaster combo.  This seems to use a slightly different plug than a standard
mini-jack headphone plug (more conductors and a different size).  I'm
guessing that I'm S.O.L. and will need to invest in a USB receiver / remote.

Which in the long run may not be so bad.  Then I could put a usb hub in the
entertainment center so that the wife could transfer photos from the camera
directly to the Myth box.