[mythtv-users] Should I get a monitor with HDCP?

Bob spam at homeurl.co.uk
Tue Oct 23 06:52:50 UTC 2007

Chris Ribe wrote:

>     What will be exciting is when the crackers start intercepting and
>     cracking the keys on a regular bases, then the HDCP people will start
>     revoking large numbers of keys effectively breaking the HDTVs of many
>     legitimate consumers.  The lesson here is NEVER buy a HDMI screen that
>     won't accept a standard, non HDCP, DVI signal.
>

> Oh please.
>
> a)  the scenario you are describing will never happen, because nobody
> will ever bother intercepting HDCP protected signals to circumvent
> copy protection for the same reasons that nobody circumvents copy
> protection today by recording unprotected DVI signals.  It's a
> ridiculous amount of data, and it is easier to break the copy
> protection on the compressed content than it is to capture the
> decompressed data.  If it does become prohibitively expensive to break
> copy protection before decompression,  the HD  analog hole is gaping
> wide open.  Analog HD capture cards don't cost much more today than a
> PVR-350 did 5 years ago, we're just waiting for someone to decide they
> want it enough to write the linux drivers.

This may or may not be true, time will tell.

> b) You will NEVER be able to buy an HDMI screen that won't accept a
> standard, non HDCP, DVI signal, because (expletives deleted, read: "it
> would be broken").

This mailing list is full of people who can't get their shiny new 1080p
HDTVs to accept a DVI signal at anything more than 1024x768 and I think
that in some cases the consensus was that it won't without HDCP.

Sorry for the delay, I didn't spot your reply.