[mythtv-users] Should I get a monitor with HDCP?

Chris Ribe chrisribe at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 02:10:30 UTC 2007

> What will be exciting is when the crackers start intercepting and
> cracking the keys on a regular bases, then the HDCP people will start
> revoking large numbers of keys effectively breaking the HDTVs of many
> legitimate consumers.  The lesson here is NEVER buy a HDMI screen that
> won't accept a standard, non HDCP, DVI signal.

Oh please.

a)  the scenario you are describing will never happen, because nobody will
ever bother intercepting HDCP protected signals to circumvent copy
protection for the same reasons that nobody circumvents copy protection
today by recording unprotected DVI signals.  It's a ridiculous amount of
data, and it is easier to break the copy protection on the compressed
content than it is to capture the decompressed data.  If it does become
prohibitively expensive to break copy protection before decompression,  the
HD  analog hole is gaping wide open.  Analog HD capture cards don't cost
much more today than a PVR-350 did 5 years ago, we're just waiting for
someone to decide they want it enough to write the linux drivers.

b) You will NEVER be able to buy an HDMI screen that won't accept a
standard, non HDCP, DVI signal, because (expletives deleted, read: "it would
be broken").

-chris

--
TV/IT Engineer