[mythtv-users] MythTV backend crashing constantly

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 07:57:43 UTC 2007

Joe Auty wrote:
> Steve Skarda wrote:
>> On 10/19/07, *Joe Auty* <joe at netmusician.org
>> <mailto:joe at netmusician.org>> wrote:
>>
>>     Hello,
>>
>>     What sorts of troubleshooting techniques can I employ to figure out why
>>     my Myth backend is crashing all the time? It happens so randomly that I
>>     can't really get a strace in, and nothing terribly obvious is being
>>     outputted to the logs:
>>

>> I have had similar problems with my backend crashing ever since I
>> upgraded from Dapper to Feisty while at the same time upgrading to 0.20.2
>>
>> I followed the directions for debugging with gdb:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-22.html#ss22.2
>>
>> I start the backend now with
>>
>> while true; do date >> gdb.txt; gdb mythbackend -x gdbcommands; done;
>>

>> Wouldn't you know it runs now without problems.   So now I just always
>> run it that way.  I have been watching the list closely hoping that
>> someone else may have a key.  Either that or I am hoping 0.21 won't have
>> the same issue for me.
>>

> Thanks Steve!
>
> I've held off on trying this since I was hoping that Ubuntu 7.10 would
> solve this issue for me (irrationally, I know, more like basic
> procrastination), but it hasn't..
>
> I'm running the backend with screen now, and will report any interesting
> error messages to this list. I am seeing a fair number of:
>
> (no debugging symbols found)
>
> I'm assuming this is because the apt-get version of mythtv did not
> include the --debug option? I did a:
>
> apt-get source mythtv-backend
>
> and then a:
>
> ./configure
>
> and I'm getting:
>
> You must have the Lame MP3 encoding library installed to compile Myth.
> exit: 2355: Illegal number: -1
>

> Should I bother to track this down, or will I get some useful feedback
> without the --debug option? Just out of curiosity since I'm new to
> Ubuntu, is there a way to determine what configure options were used to
> generate the .deb files that make up the apt-get repository?
>

> Thanks for all your help!
>

>> My guess is that it might have something to do with EIT scanning.
>> There have been some threads that suggested that could cause some
>> problems.   I turned it on during the upgrade when I setup schedules
>> direct.  I have since turned if off, completely wiped out my cards and
>> set everything up from scratch but I still have the problems though.

Actually on Ubuntu, the apport service will catch these sorts of problems
typically without needing for you to manually run gdb.

Check if you have apport installed, and if not, install it.  On a Gnome, KDE, or
Xfce (Mythbuntu) based system, you will get an icon in your system tray with a
crash report that can be submitted.  On standalone (server) type installs, you
will have to manually run apport-gtk to make the crash report and submit it.

--
Mario Limonciello
mario.mailing at gmail.com