[mythtv-users] MythTV backend crashing constantly

Joe Auty joe at netmusician.org
Mon Oct 22 05:14:26 UTC 2007

Steve Skarda wrote:
> On 10/19/07, *Joe Auty* <joe at netmusician.org
> <mailto:joe at netmusician.org>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     What sorts of troubleshooting techniques can I employ to figure out why
>     my Myth backend is crashing all the time? It happens so randomly that I
>     can't really get a strace in, and nothing terribly obvious is being
>     outputted to the logs:
>

> I have had similar problems with my backend crashing ever since I
> upgraded from Dapper to Feisty while at the same time upgrading to 0.20.2
>
> I followed the directions for debugging with gdb:
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-22.html#ss22.2
>
> I start the backend now with
>
> while true; do date >> gdb.txt; gdb mythbackend -x gdbcommands; done;
>

> Wouldn't you know it runs now without problems.   So now I just always
> run it that way.  I have been watching the list closely hoping that
> someone else may have a key.  Either that or I am hoping 0.21 won't have
> the same issue for me.

Thanks Steve!

I've held off on trying this since I was hoping that Ubuntu 7.10 would
solve this issue for me (irrationally, I know, more like basic
procrastination), but it hasn't..

I'm running the backend with screen now, and will report any interesting
error messages to this list. I am seeing a fair number of:

(no debugging symbols found)

I'm assuming this is because the apt-get version of mythtv did not
include the --debug option? I did a:

apt-get source mythtv-backend

and then a:

./configure

and I'm getting:

You must have the Lame MP3 encoding library installed to compile Myth.
exit: 2355: Illegal number: -1

Should I bother to track this down, or will I get some useful feedback
without the --debug option? Just out of curiosity since I'm new to
Ubuntu, is there a way to determine what configure options were used to
generate the .deb files that make up the apt-get repository?

Thanks for all your help!