[mythtv-users] Wrong aspect ratio, weird fonts after upgrading to ubuntu gutsy 7.10

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Oct 21 13:02:06 UTC 2007

On 10/21/2007 07:12 AM, Dean Harding wrote:
> Joan Vallés wrote:
>
>> Just upgraded to Gutsy (7.10) and I've started to have problems when
>> viewing recordings. My box is connected to a Samsung LCD TV (16:9) which
>> has a resolution of 1360x768, before upgrading when I watched 4:3
>> material with zoom off it played well just with two black bars on the
>> side; now it fills all the screen. On the other side, 16:9 material gets
>> letter boxed and it should not.
>>
> There's a setting somewhere under Setup->Something (TV Setttings
> possibly?)->Playback (can't remember exactly) where you specify your
> screen's aspect ratio.
>
> I found that after I upgraded to Gutsy, that setting had been changed to
> 4:3 (I believe it may have had to do with the NVIDIA drivers being
> updated, possibly). Once I set that to 16:9, it all worked fine again.
Actually, the setting wasn't changed.  It just didn't appear until you
upgraded X (the new X does things differently--not sure whether it's a
bug or what).  So, you set it for the first time after upgrading.  It
shouldn't be required unless you have multiple displays (and the newest
versions of Myth trunk and 0.20-fixes SVN) now work with even the new X
to find out if it's needed, so you'll see the setting disappear again
and it will do the right thing.

Mike