[mythtv-users] [mythtv] MySQL database location

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Oct 19 16:54:27 UTC 2007

On 10/19/2007 12:39 PM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> Mitch Gore wrote:

>>> ill remove some of the larger ones. i dont see where the my sql one is.
>>> Where should i be looking?
> I think, to misquote some film I once saw, "these are not the log files you are
> looking for". What Mike means are what I would probably call "journals". These
> are the files that Mysql makes as it goes along so that it can fix the database
> if ever it should go titsup. On my system at least they can be found under
> /var/lib/mysql - mine are called mysql-bin.nnnnn where nnnn is a number.

Exactly (and as described in the messages returned in the search query
above).

>  *Do not
> delete them*. To get rid of them, you have to make an adjustment to your Mysql
> configuration. After making the change, Mysql will clean them up on it's own.
>
> Unfortunately, I foget exactly what the needed change is, it's been a while
> since I did mine. No doubt someone with a better memory will be right along with
> the answer.

Generally, commenting out the log-bin line in your my.conf (i.e.
/etc/my.conf and/or ~/.my.conf):

# Replication Master Server (default)
# binary logging is required for replication
log-bin=mysql-bin

Again, fully described in the messages returned by the search...

(This isn't meant to imply that Mike P. should have read those links.
In fact, he's far more patient/kind than I.  I had no intention of
rewriting the info in the messages to which I linked, as I figured
anyone having space issues could easily read them.  He was kind enough
to repeat the info in those links.  I was hoping someone might actually
go to the trouble of reading them. :)

Mike