[mythtv-users] The Bigger... Disk contest, Fall 2007 edition

match at ece.utah.edu match at ece.utah.edu
Thu Oct 18 21:13:22 UTC 2007

On 17 Oct 2007 at 12:36, Yeechang Lee wrote:

Jay R. Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> says:
> Anyone got more than 5TB of active, mounted, media storage space?
>
> How is that configured?

I have 5-750 GB Seagates in a striped software RAID mounted /video and 2-
400 GB Seagates holding the system with the remainder in an LVM
mounted /music all in one master backend. Total 4550 GB.

A second backend has 2-400's in an LVM array, mounted /storage since it's
a MythDora box.

No, they're not even close to full, and I may move all the 400's to other
boxen this weekend.

Total between the two machines is 5350 GB, but only a mere 5 TB is actually
media storage. Today, anyway...   :-)

The intent was to rip all my CD's DVD's and LP's, but never got around to it.
Now I'm not sure I ever will. We watch mostly rented DVD's, and I seldom
care to watch anything a second time. No, I NEVER rip a rented DVD, and
most of the DVD's I've purchased just sit on the shelf since I've already
watched them... unless guests come over.

I'm thinking just the RAID array of 3750 GB is more than plenty since I've
cancelled cable and satelite, and I might even dedicate part of that as
backup space for my other computers.

Then again, these 750 GB Seagates can be had for $130 U.S.    Hmmmm...

Marvin