[mythtv-users] The Bigger... Disk contest, Fall 2007 edition

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Thu Oct 18 16:35:16 UTC 2007

On Oct 18, 2007, at 9:01 AM, Mailing Lists wrote:
> Been doing this for 20+ years too and I completely agree.  A boot
> partition should be a physical drive just big enough to hold only
> the OS
> and then mount your data and home anywhere you like.

I do this on my systems at work, and I agree it's a best practice,
but at home I just can't justify the extra noise, expense, and power
consumption of a separate hard disk just to hold boot, root, and
swap.  Actually, at work almost all of the machines boot from a
hardware RAID 1 mirror.

You have to remember, too, that Jay is really serious about this
stuff.  He's remarked before that he doesn't trust PATA or SATA
drives, only SCSI.  I can sort of see his point, but I find it hard
to justify the cost when serially-attached-SCSI disks cost roughly
*five times* what SATA drives of the same size do.