[mythtv-users] The Bigger... Disk contest, Fall 2007 edition

Thu Oct 18 16:01:46 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-18-10 at 11:51 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 11:11:56AM -0400, Josh White wrote:
> >    > Booting off a mirror is ok.  I just get hives whnm people tell me their
> >    > boot drive is on a RAID 5.
>
> >    Is it just me, or do people get a little emotional when talking
> >    about things they are not sure will work reliably. Hives? Really?
> >    It's not like anyone is holding the abort keys to the nuclear
> >    launch in progress on their systems (at least not on most myth
> >    systems, I would hope).
>
> I do this sort of support for a living; I'm the one who has to tear my
> hair out when I have to recover from people having made design and
> implementation choices which I will be polite enough, here, not to call
> "stupid".  :-)

Been doing this for 20+ years too and I completely agree.  A boot
partition should be a physical drive just big enough to hold only the OS
and then mount your data and home anywhere you like.  Upgrades are so
much easier this way too -- you can have multiple boot drives, software
releases, operating system releases, what ever you like -- never having
to worry about the effects on your data.  You can mirror your boot drive
-- thats an excellent failover in case of the boot drive going bad.  But
nothng more then mirror in my opinion.

Norm