[mythtv-users] HD recording problem

Scott list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc
Fri Oct 12 22:12:54 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 17:09 -0400, Chris Bare wrote:
> Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I have basic cable, and have my cable plugged
> into a splitter and into both inputs on the hdhomerun.
> It's certainly possible that it was the signal, even over the cable, I'm just
> trying to figure out how to diagnose it for sure. Smallville recorded ok last
> week by itself, but that doesn't really prove anything.

Before you think about hard disk consider network bandwidth and switch
issues.

The debug output of hdhomerun_config will show you any network errors. I
suggest the following:

1) Setup MythTV to record two HDTV shows at once
2) Open up two SSH or Telnet sessions to the system
3) Open up a telnet or ssh session to the MythTV box and run
   "watch -n 1 hdhomerun_config FFFFFFFF get /tuner0/debug"
4) Repeat step 3 for the second tuner (/tuner1/debug)
5) Monitor both sessions for network errors or other problems

Are you by chance using a 100MB link between the HDHR and the MythTV
box? It should work however some switches are better quality than
others. Try changing the network switch if you see network errors.

--
Scott <list-mythtv at bluecamel.eml.cc>