[mythtv-users] Myth Update

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Thu Oct 11 21:52:27 UTC 2007

On Oct 11, 2007, at 2:34 PM, NoName Anonymous wrote:

> "I don't know, but I do know you will get a lot further asking for
> help once you've used the supported method of upgrading. :) "
>
> That's the problem.  As far as I know I DID use the supported
> proceedure.  I used "yum -y upgrade mythtv-suite" which is exactly
> what has been stated.  That said there was nothing to upgrade and I
> knew that was false because I needed the Schedules Direct additions.

As far as I'm aware, when using ATrpms, the only supported method of
upgrade is yum upgrade. Despite what it says on other people's
website for stuff that works for them.

> My understanding, from considerable reading of these forums, is
> that this was Axel's fix to having to update a bunch of different
> packages.  It appears the Myth-Suite covers the gamut.  However
> that wouldn't work.  So that leaves me out in the cold wondering
> how to make my MythTV work (again).

I'm afriad I can't be of more help since I use bleeding stuff from
ATrpms and that worked ok for me when running yum upgrade on all
packages.

> I just want the darn thing to work.  I really like some of the
> capabilities of MythTV but so far my next purchase will be a new
> TiVo, not a new MythTV.  I'm sorry there's just way too many
> problems and even the simplest of tasks leads to difficulty and
> controversy.

You don't buy MythTV. It's free. No need to apologize. If you want
something that will work with little effort and provide detailed
technical support, you should definitely go with a boxed solution
like Tivo or at use software that is at least at version 1.0. I tell
all my friends that when they come over and see MythTV and say,
"Build me one. I want this."

MythTV is at version 0.2x. Definitely not "consumer ready". No one
said it would be easy.

Now for some helpful advice on getting it running again...

Instead of just hacking at upgrades and crossing your fingers, I
would simply back up your database following the instructions on the
wiki, uninstall mythtv completely (yum erase \*myth\*) and then
reinstall since your installation is clearly at an unknown state.
Then restore the database, then run mythtv-setup again to make sure
your database is upgraded if necessary and give it another go.

-Brad