[mythtv-users] dual monitors on myth?

Mitch Gore mitchell.gore at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 17:08:07 UTC 2007

On 10/11/07, Mike LaPlante <mike at dividia.net> wrote:

> Todd wrote:
> > I have an Ubuntu based frontend/backend/desktop system.   I  may have
> > an extra monitor available and am pondering whether slapping a dual
> > headed card into the box and using both monitors might work to allow,
> > say,  myth doing its thing full screen on one while seeing the desktop
> > in the other.
> >
> > Feasible?  Goofy?  Problematic?  Pointless?
> >
> > Recommendations on a thrifty and quiet PCI Express based dual headed
> > analog display card?
> >
> My MBE is setup in the "office" at my house. It has dual monitors on it.
> By the way, once you go dual you never go back, so be careful. I first
> went dual with an old crappy monitor on its last leg, when it died I was
> feening for a replacement.
>
> Often my girlfriend is watching TV on the MFE in the living room (some
> silly show I don't want to watch) so I go back to the office and fire up
> mythfrontend on one monitor and use the other monitor for some light
> browsing in firefox.
>
> So its certainly feasible. I'm using an el cheapo AGP FX5200 with two
> VGA monitors. The only problem I have is that my system is pretty old
> with only a gig of RAM. Firefox gets slow and mythfrontend gets jerky if
> all 3 of my tuners are going.
>
> Mike

works great for me.  I have my FE/BE have dual X displays.  one display is
1080p to the projector and the other is a 15" LCD to do admin business on
the server.

The only issue i have is when the mouse is focused on the LCD and using the
FE and deleting shows the new windows that pops open isnt in focus.  I have
to move the mouse to the Projector X screen in order to work.

Mitchell