[mythtv-users] Lan Qos

Chris Isip cmisipster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 03:39:17 UTC 2007

Thanks for the replies.

I dont know what it is about scp, but when the transfer speed is >7 Mbps,
mythfrontend cannot connect to the backend at all.   This is on a 100Mbit
lan and the highest transfer speed it achieves is 7.8 Mbps, I suspect due to
limitation of cpu or disk read/write.

I found a qos script on the internet and modified it to clamp down on all
other traffic other than myth and mysql.  It seems to limit scp to more
tolerable transfer speeds.  I have attached it here.   I am not a qos expert
so any corrections/suggestions are welcome. Anyway it seems to improve the
mythtv experience  by removing any network lag related jerkiness (or so I
think).
I have it installed on my frontend machines and backend to limit outgoing
traffic on the lan interface.  I am hoping it would help reduce the dropped
frames in recording which I suspect may partially be due to scp hogging the
cpu or disk i/o  a lot when I  move files around.