[mythtv-users] DVDs that wont play

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Mon Oct 8 21:40:13 UTC 2007

On 10/8/07, Mike Choy <mike at acaciaclose.co.uk> wrote:
> Thanks Rod
> I've taken the dvd back, only thing to do here is to boycott these kinds
> of behaviours
>
> Mike C

It appears that's a Sony Pictures DVD.  On many of their newer DVDs
they're using a form of copy protection that uses intentionally
corrupted sectors.  There are apparently some commercial DVD players
that choke on them as well, including some made by Sony believe it or
not...and Sony insists on using it anyway.

Ever since Sony got into the movie/media business they've gone from a
very cool company with tons of cutting edge products to a bunch of
shit heads that will sell you intentionally broken products like these
DVDs.  This is why so many Sony products are riddled with godless DRM
technology...Sony corporate insists on it.

Sony is quickly becoming one of my most hated companies.  I agree with
the boycott.  I don't even rent any Sony Pictures DVDs unless it's
something I desperately want to see...even then I think twice.  This
is also why I may never go to hi-def DVD.

Tom