[mythtv-users] 1080p minimum TV size

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Oct 8 17:44:43 UTC 2007

David Fishburn wrote:
> Try searching this forum for buying TVs, very difficult since TV is
> mentioned a zillion times.
>
> I am in the market for a new TV (still using my 27"  Sony).
> I have been following a number of threads on advice for TVs, they are all good.
>
> I have also read the OT: Why 1080p? thread.
>
> I didn't really see anything that indicated a minimum TV size where
> changing from 720p to 1080i to 1080p would be worth while.
>
> In my case, I think I am looking at the 40" zone.  Not that big of a
> room, but huge compared to the 27" we are using now.
>
> Given a 40" TV, can you notice a difference between the 3 resolutions?
>  1080p is really the new thing in the store which comes at a premium.
> I am trying to figure out if it is worth while to spend the additional
> bucks.  If we end up saying it is not worth it since the TV is too
> small to see a difference then great, I will save my money.

A lot depends on what material you plan to view on the set. You will not
see 1080p over the air or from cable any time in the near future, you
can get that only from Blu-Ray or HDDVD right now.

A lot of people don't see the difference between 1080i and 1080p, but of
course the makers and the salespeople see the difference, in their
profits and commission checks.

beww