[mythtv-users] Release Notes on the wiki

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 8 16:48:02 UTC 2007

On 10/08/2007 12:18 PM, Doug Young wrote:
> On 10/8/07, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>
>> Anyone know why hitting "Go" on the search of the wiki with the search
>> string "release notes" takes you to the 0.20 release notes instead of
>> the current 0.20.2 release notes?  Or, even better, does anyone know how
>> to fix that to take you to the current release notes?  Thanks.
>>
> Because there is actually a page named "Release Notes" that redirects
> to "Release Notes - 0.20".  Changing where it redirects to would be
> trivial...changing it to redirect to the -current- release notes is
> best done by changing the redirect as part of the posting of the
> release notes.  However, it may be better to redirect to "Category:
> Release Notes", which would show all the posted release notes and
> allow you to choose the notes you want.
>
> Thoughts?

I wouldn't have a problem with redirecting to "Category: Release Notes"
if that page (the category) could be modified to organize the different
versions' release notes.  For example, with the 3-columns, have "Old
Versions", "Current/Stable Version" (which has 0.20, 0.20.1, and
0.20.2), and "Development/Unstable Version" (which has 0.21).  There
should probably also be a note that users should generally use the
most-current version of the stable release (and maybe distinguish
between which release notes to use (most-current stable) and which Myth
to use -fixes branch).  Then again, users may assume that the
"Development/Unstable Version" shows the changes in the -fixes branch
(and it doesn't), so there probably should be a warning/notification on
there, too.

I think the current layout of that page tends to encourage users to
click on "the most current version" (Release Notes - 0.21) even though
it describes things that don't even exist in 0.20-fixes (i.e. the one
most users are using).

I don't know if changing that page is even possible, though.  (Is a
Category page just another page or is it "auto-generated" or something?)

So, basically, I seem to have only raised questions/concerns.  I'll have
to let someone else provide direction.  Jay Ashworth is probably a good
person to provide input/direction on this one.

BTW, thanks for taking the time to explain these new-fangled wiki's to
an old timer.  :)

Mike