[mythtv-users] SchedulesDirect deactivated my account, ack the new privacy policy

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Oct 6 19:52:08 UTC 2007

glen martin wrote:

> So I logged into schedulesdirect to see what was up and found:
> <<<
>

>     Reactivate My Schedules Direct Membership
>
> Your account is currently deactivated. If you would like to reactivate
> your membership, you must you must read, acknowledge and agree to the
> following policy documents by checking the box to the left of "Yes, I
> accept" next to each document.
>

> Then I had to accept 3 documents, 2 of which I'd previously read and
> accepted when I signed up. the third was a new privacy policy.

This was all explained to me in mailings from SD. I had no problem with
it and I understood their position quite well.

> Having a look through my email, I found a notice of new privacy policy
> on the Sept 21, then a deactivation notice on Oct 1. In my spam folder,
> cuz it looked like spam.

Looked like spam? I'd look into better spam filtering, and whitelisting
of known correspondents. A constant problem for all of us I know, but
blame the spammers for it.

> Maybe I'm overly grumpy today,

Seems that way, but I have days like that as well.

> but is it truly necessary to deactivate
> service because someone hasn't accepted a privacy policy where none
> existed before and so the reader should have no current anticipation of
> privacy? Is my acknowledgement that you won't do something you were
> allowed to do so important?

Yes, according to attorneys who have worked to protect the operators of
SD. What do you expect SD to do? Pay for good legal advice and then
ignore it?

>  What is this, deactivating me for my own
> damned good?

Yes, if you consider continuing to receive reliable listings that enable
your Myth system to operate as "your own danged good".

> I tell you, my wife missed **Survivor**, this was not for my good, trust me.
>
> Anyway, for any of the rest of you who may also have missed the email in
> your spam or otherwise, you might want to take a look at your listings
> and maybe wander over to SD.

Always good to point out a problem that might effect other users, thanks
for that.

beww