[mythtv-users] sa3250 keep alive

Daniel Agar daniel at agar.ca
Fri Oct 5 12:57:33 UTC 2007

> I'm finding that after about a week of successfully recording HD
> over
> firewire from my SA3250 it just stops. Its happened for the past
> 2 weeks
> now consistently (thursday nights in the first few minutes of
> conan). I
> don't get any errors in the logs (not even the usual no input
> for 15
> seconds), just no mpeg. After a few resets of the STB and a
> reboot I can
> get it to respond again. I was wondering if anyone had a
> solution or was
> even experiencing a similar issue with this particular STB. I
> saw a post
> for a dct6200 keep alive script earlier and was hoping for
> something
> similar, yet my googling has found little.
> My SA3250 sits in a closet with my HD frontend so it gets quite
> warm, so
> thats one possibility.
>
> Daniel
>

> there's a way to incorporate firewire_tester using the -R option which
> resets the firewire bus. It's an external channel changing script. Here it
> is:
> http://bentonroberts.com/personal/media-server/code/mySA3250change.sh/view
>
> I would really like to know though why I can successfully record with
> test-mpeg2 as well as use firewire_tester with p2p node 0 port 0 but can't
> change channels no matter what!! I ahve tried the internal channel
> changing
> within mythtv for both the sa4250 and the sa3250 but it doesn't work. I
> ahve
> even tried all of the channel changers that are at the above link I
> provided
> to no avail. The vendor code is accepted and it appears to work but no
> channel change?? I am only thinking that TWC here in milwaukee has
> disabled
> the firewire port from accepting tuning commands.  here's my post about my
> issue if you can help. Yes I haev tried the -s option still no work.
>
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/287820?#287820
>

> Daniel

I considered an external channel changer, but couldn't find one that
worked perfectly. I did find one that worked after updating the source for
my specific model but it dropped the 5 in any channel >499. I've had good
luck with the internal SA4250 channel changer so far. I just wish I didn't
have to watch this thing constantly as the only warning about failure I
get is a recording with size 0bytes in mythweb.

Daniel