[mythtv-users] MythTV setup distributed over WAN link

Daniel Agar daniel at agar.ca
Thu Oct 4 17:05:03 UTC 2007

> I wish to record a small number of shows that are not
> available in my area (mainly a couple PBS shows our
> local affiliate does not pick up).  I have a spare
> machine and tuner card to place at a family member's
> home.  My plan is to transfer the files using DVDs or,
> when I visit, a portable HDD.  (Or occasionally a
> network copy in the middle of the night.)
>
> My first thought was to set the remote machine up as a
> completely isolated MythTV system, with its own
> database, and occasionally log in to it remotely by
> SSH to check things out or burn files to a DVD.  I'll
> then have *.mpg files that I can somehow import into
> MythTV.  Somehow I will then have to construct
> metadata.
>
> My second thought was to integrate the remote system
> into my existing MythTV setup so that I can manage and
> monitor the entire system from one place.  I'll set up
> OpenVPN between the sites, which I have done before
> for various projects so that's no problem.  I believe
> that I will then have all the metadata and when I move
> the corresponding *.mpg file into one of my storage
> groups, it will stream from my local backend.
>
> However, I *do not* want my local frontends to try to
> stream a program from the remote backend, because it
> either will be too slow to work, or it will use enough
> bandwidth that said family member might no longer be
> willing to host said remote backend.
>
> So -- is it possible (either in the MythTV setup or by
> blocking ports at the firewall) to prevent the
> streaming as I have described, while still allowing
> this setup to work?

I'm not sure about blocking only streaming, but transferring mpeg2 over
the tubes is going to be a time consuming process unless you have fiber at
both ends.
Have you considered having an isolated remote myth box and setup all of
your recordings with a userjob that starts nuvexport after each recording?
You could then transfer your (significantly smaller) recordings through
ssh.
These episodes wouldn't be integrated with the rest of the recordings, but
you could watch them in mythvideo and set nuvexport to output the file
with the recording name, date and episode title.