[mythtv-users] MythTV setup distributed over WAN link

Taco Mel taco_mel at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 4 16:17:24 UTC 2007

I wish to record a small number of shows that are not
available in my area (mainly a couple PBS shows our
local affiliate does not pick up).  I have a spare
machine and tuner card to place at a family member's
home.  My plan is to transfer the files using DVDs or,
when I visit, a portable HDD.  (Or occasionally a
network copy in the middle of the night.)

My first thought was to set the remote machine up as a
completely isolated MythTV system, with its own
database, and occasionally log in to it remotely by
SSH to check things out or burn files to a DVD.  I'll
then have *.mpg files that I can somehow import into
MythTV.  Somehow I will then have to construct
metadata.

My second thought was to integrate the remote system
into my existing MythTV setup so that I can manage and
monitor the entire system from one place.  I'll set up
OpenVPN between the sites, which I have done before
for various projects so that's no problem.  I believe
that I will then have all the metadata and when I move
the corresponding *.mpg file into one of my storage
groups, it will stream from my local backend.

However, I *do not* want my local frontends to try to
stream a program from the remote backend, because it
either will be too slow to work, or it will use enough
bandwidth that said family member might no longer be
willing to host said remote backend.

So -- is it possible (either in the MythTV setup or by
blocking ports at the firewall) to prevent the
streaming as I have described, while still allowing
this setup to work?