[mythtv-users] Could someone just clarify a TV out question?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Wed Oct 3 16:53:47 UTC 2007

On Oct 3, 2007, at 9:13 AM, Drew wrote:
> If any one or more of those stages aren't up to the task of handling
> the video stream, you can get stuttering in the playback.

I don't think he's describing stuttering, but rather an interlacing
or frame rate issue.  Maybe he could clarify if there's actual
stuttering, or if he's seeing camera pans and news tickers sort of
slowing and speeding up instead of moving smoothly.  The latter is a
common symptom of the frame rate of the video and the frame rate of
the display not lining up.  I see it pretty routinely when playing
back DVDs (24 fps) on my PC's monitor (60 Hz).  There's no way to
evenly divide 24 into 60 so playback will never be perfectly smooth.

The original poster is playing back TV content on a TV, so in theory
it ought to be smooth.  I've never set up TV out, though, so I'm not
sure what the problem could be or if there's a way to fix it.  I'm
curious, though, because I *will* be setting up TV out soon.