[mythtv-users] Could someone just clarify a TV out question?

Drew drew.kay at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 16:13:55 UTC 2007

I'll let the gurus nit pick my answer but this is how I understand it.

> Would I be right in saying this can never be corrected just using a
> graphic boards TV out and that the only way to fix it is to use a TV
> card with a TV out also.

Using just the TV out, I'd say no. When you watch live TV the video
goes through the following (generalized) steps:

Video Signal --> TV/Capture Card --> MythTV --> Harddrive --> MythTV
--> Graphics Card --> TV/Monitor.

If any one or more of those stages aren't up to the task of handling
the video stream, you can get stuttering in the playback.

For example, If the capture card doesn't have hardware compression or
the video card doesn't support decompression, the CPU is forced to
handle that in addition to everything else. If the hardrive isn't fast
enough, MythTV can't read/write from/to the buffer fast enough.

What are the specs on the MythBox you have? With a good PC you really
shouldn't experience stuttering. My Athlon64 is rock solid when it
comes to play back.

> And, does this problem apply to digital outs also eg. DVI or HDMI
> straight to a HD TV or does using digital eliminate the problem?

It certainly does apply. DVI / HDMI is just the last link in the
aforementioned chain.

-Drew