[mythtv-users] OSD fonts badly rendered on a 16:9 TV

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Oct 3 15:08:18 UTC 2007

On 10/03/2007 09:28 AM, Nicolas Will wrote:
> I run Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10)with the latest updates at this date, on
> x86_64, with MythTV, which means I am practically running Mythbuntu.
> MythTV is at version 0.20.2
>
> It is connected to an HDTV using DVI/HDMI and is running at 1920x1080.
>
> I am currently using an NVIDIA card using the Ubuntu nvidia-glx (driver
> version 1.0--9639). The problem existed as well when using an Intel GPU
> in the same machine (2.0 then 2.1.1 drivers).
>
> The display is set hard to 100dpi in xorg using Option "UseEdidDpi"
> "FALSE" in the Monitor Section of xorg.conf.
> In /var/log/Xorg.o.log:
>
> (**) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (100, 100); computed from "DPI" X config
> option
>
> All the normal theme stuff (general menus, EPG, etc...) is displaying
> great.
>
> BUT -- All the OSD, when watching 16:9 TV programming, has fonts
> rendered badly, with weird aspect ratios and character overlaps. This is
> for the OSD menu, the program information, the volume setting, position,
> etc...
>
> I tried many different OSD themes with the same results.
>
> I made a few snapshots of how it looks like. They are available here:
>
> http://www.youplala.net/~will/htpc/bad_fonts/
>
> Any info/dumps/logs/confs can be provided quickly upon request.
> More info about the complete setup there:
> http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc/
>
> Any help regarding this would be gladly accepted.

Does your system show Xinerama enabled?  If so, are you only using one
monitor?  (I.e. do you see settings "Xinerama screen" and "Monitor
Aspect Ratio" in the "Screen settings" section of the frontend settings
under, I think, "Appearance settings"?)

With new versions of X on recent distributions, X tends to report
Xinerama as enabled even when it shouldn't.  There's code in Myth that
handles aspect ratio calculations specially when Xinerama is enabled,
and if it's not enabled (but X reports it as enabled), these settings
(which only appear/are used when X says Xinerama is enabled) tend to
provide information that overrides a proper X configuration--often
resulting in font and/or video sizing issues.

If you have such an X install, you'll have to specify the proper
Xinerama aspect info, too.

Mike