[mythtv-users] OSD fonts badly rendered on a 16:9 TV

Nicolas Will nico at youplala.net
Wed Oct 3 13:28:51 UTC 2007

Hi all,

I run Ubuntu Gutsy (7.10)with the latest updates at this date, on
x86_64, with MythTV, which means I am practically running Mythbuntu.
MythTV is at version 0.20.2

It is connected to an HDTV using DVI/HDMI and is running at 1920x1080.

I am currently using an NVIDIA card using the Ubuntu nvidia-glx (driver
version 1.0--9639). The problem existed as well when using an Intel GPU
in the same machine (2.0 then 2.1.1 drivers).

The display is set hard to 100dpi in xorg using Option "UseEdidDpi"
"FALSE" in the Monitor Section of xorg.conf.
In /var/log/Xorg.o.log:

(**) NVIDIA(0): DPI set to (100, 100); computed from "DPI" X config
option

All the normal theme stuff (general menus, EPG, etc...) is displaying
great.

BUT -- All the OSD, when watching 16:9 TV programming, has fonts
rendered badly, with weird aspect ratios and character overlaps. This is
for the OSD menu, the program information, the volume setting, position,
etc...

I tried many different OSD themes with the same results.

I made a few snapshots of how it looks like. They are available here:

http://www.youplala.net/~will/htpc/bad_fonts/

Any info/dumps/logs/confs can be provided quickly upon request.
More info about the complete setup there:
http://www.youplala.net/linux/home-theater-pc/

Any help regarding this would be gladly accepted.

Nico