[mythtv-users] Myth on a Laptop

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 1 20:19:35 UTC 2007

On 10/01/2007 03:48 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:

>>> What on earth gives you that idea?  HTTP content payloads can most
>>> certainly be binary.  Just telnet to a web server and issue a GET for
>>> a binary to see for yourself.
>>>
>> OK.  Then it's just plain slow compared to other file transfer
>> methods.
>>
> It's ironic you'd say that after suggesting SCP, which has the added
> overhead

CPU overhead.  My (Athlon XP 2000+) CPU is far from bound when
transferring (whether encrypting or not).  My network connection is
completely saturated.

>  of encryption

Overhead or no, transferring recordings with scp takes about 2/3 the
time it takes to transfer them using HTTP with Apache httpd /on my
network and servers/.  So, because of this (and the horrid UI for
multiple file transfers provided by a browser), I don't use the
web-based approach.  (And I do this several times a month, generally
copying 50GiB of recordings to my laptop each time, so I've spent some
time investigating which is the fastest approach.)

But hey, no sense arguing.  I'm just an idiot who doesn't know what he's
talking about/doesn't know how to configure Apache/doesn't know how to
configure a network/whatever.  You can convince me I'm wrong about the
"why" or convince me that in "theory" HTTP is faster, but you'll never
convince me that it is faster in reality on my systems.

>  -- which is totally unnecessary on a home LAN. ;)

Good security practices are never unnecessary.  If you get used to doing
things the wrong way, you make mistakes when security is important.  Bad
habits are hard to break.  :)

Mike