[mythtv-users] Myth on a Laptop

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Mon Oct 1 20:18:57 UTC 2007

On Oct 1, 2007, at 12:48 PM, David Brodbeck wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2007, at 12:38 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> OK.  Then it's just plain slow compared to other file transfer
>> methods.
>
> It's ironic you'd say that after suggesting SCP, which has the
> added overhead of encryption -- which is totally unnecessary on a
> home LAN. ;)

After posting that, I immediately had nagging doubts, so I did a
quick test on my system.  Here's what I got:

SCP: 5.4 megabytes/second.
HTTP (fetch): 8687 kilobytes/second = 8.48 megabytes/second.

The figures given are self-reported averages over a 2.2 gigabyte
file.  I did it a couple of times with different files to rule out
any disk cache effects.  (Although the file is so much bigger than
available RAM that any cache speed-up would be minimal, anyway.)

So on my system HTTP is actually faster.  However, this might vary
depending on the software being used (some web browsers seem to
download slower than others) and the specs of the machines involved.
My frontend has only a 1 GHz CPU, so SCP encryption overhead hits it
harder than it would a faster system.